Monday, December 22, 2014

Getting Around The Publisher

Day 125 / 365 - iPad ebook demo at Web 2.0 Expo SF 2010

Last year I wanted to publish my eBook of fiction. I put it off because I didn't know enough about the process of what I was getting into. I mean everything, more specifically, about the formatting.

Because when I first went to Amazon's CreateSpace, I was somewhat confused with how to create the contents and the chapters. So last week, I finally decided it was time to get to it and over an exhaustive two-day period I finally got it. From the formatting to converting into a EPUB file.

As of this writing, this is what my stats look like:


Since this blog is about uphill battles, let me tell you a little bit about this one... in a later post. Right now however, I want to give you the details on what I did past the formatting and creating of the file.

Not only did I get around the formatting tools but the publisher too. Because I wanted to find the best way to set up a cart through my blog without coming across as fraudulent or risky, which plays a big part in why people don't buy (my) eBooks.

PayHip

Yeah, these guys are not getting as much attention as they deserve. Look. I didn't already know that they were trustworthy because I take risks that I don't expect others to take. That's kind of the reason why these things are an uphill battle for me, but most of them haven't failed me so much as I failed them. 

But I looked up PayHip because they do real-time payments to your PayPal account while taking 5% from each sale. This is separate from what PayPal takes, which I had to ask about to know what I'd make back. And you know what? It fucking works! 

Basically they provide the platform to track the downloads with a PayPal cart set up on check out. You upload your eBooks with cover image and they provide the button, stuff like that. 

Your Own Marketing

Now, this is the catch but by design it all makes sense. They don't have a library to browse through the selections. But they do have:
  • Affiliate Features
  • Social Network Features
  • Author Invites
Affiliate Features
These are set up to where you can put the email address of a person who will share out your book for you and a percentage of the sales is set by the author to give to that person. 

Social Network Features
Not only through email but obviously the social network thing is set up. You'll be promoting all the time. 

Author Invites
You can also invite an author to the network as it grabs the contact list from all popular email accounts plus through Facebook. 

I've been checking around other social networks and they don't seem to have too much on them. Like a Google+ page is one follower, they have use of one #PayHip tag in the same network. They've only been around for two years but this thing definitely works.

Also Buy My eBook and enjoy some very interesting, illustrated and highly entertaining stories, 99% independent at a low cost. And if you've got some eBooks you'd like to sell, consider these guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment