Sunday, March 15, 2015

Band Booking Horror Show

It's a combination of things that are going on here. Let me first remind you that, among the other things I'm doing, I also book bands for a place. When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, it's terrible. Last night was pretty fucking bad.

For one, it was St. Patty's day and most of Dallas had gotten its drink on since eleven in the morning. I explain a lot of this in a previous post. So, what I'm saying is that there's good reason for concern. For instance, I got a private message from a friend of mine who is part of a local band.

I told him some time back that I was going to recommend him to the bar management so they could be put on rotation as they seem to be a better fit with some of the other bands they generally book here.

The problem is that I can't get a response from management as to what dates are available. Well, I got one response saying that they would only be booking two dates but I haven't heard anything else.

Booking shows is a hard thing to pull off. There are all sorts of angles and executive decisions one has to do in order to stay afloat. I've had to learn this the hard way and then I'm still learning. I mean, right now, I'm learning that I might not be doing any more shows here if the shit doesn't pick up.

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing

I have to make posters. I have to make them all the time and that has to be budgeted as well. I've been cutting costs with sticking to digital marketing, so I've been making my own ads online, haunting twitter and pushing my Facebook page.

I can't leave the podcast out of course. That's another way I'm doing that and it's pretty stressful to try and manage all of that in a timely fashion. Just thinking about it makes me want to sleep and sleep deeply. Like, my eyeballs are getting heavy.

I mean lately, I've been sleeping like a dead man and I can only hope that I will before the next show as I'm taking one hell of a hit in my pocketbook. What the hell am I going to do?

I think I might have to make some more hardcore executive decisions, is what I'm thinking. While this is definitely scary, it's also exciting all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment