Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Content Site Killer Attacks!!!

Sorozatgyilkos fehér cápa is under License Some rights reserved by lwpkommunikacio

Yep. A few weeks ago I wrote a post about some potential set backs with changes to the way social networking services are making things a bit difficult for content sites. Well, there was another mild set back this last week, which is determined by who you ask. It's more of a set back for the content site service than for us writers. (The Truth About Why Bubblews Why Removed By Facebook)

After some extra clicking here and there, I finally found what looked like the reason for why Facebook went after them. It's manageable because I can still get around the problem by going through pinterest or twitter. The only issue is that I can't really set my sites on using the page I created for it, since pinterest and twitter automatically post. I would have to create a new post in tumblr or some other blog and post the link there. (Facebook Considers Bubblews A Spam Distributor)

All of this is disheartening because the powers behind the internet are obviously shifting to push or squash the little guy and everything is going to be bottle-necked so they can monetize traffic they consider relevant or irrelevant and that's scary. But it's happening.

It made me also think about how there's a gap between what the mega social networking services do and the smaller ones do. The other day there was a TedTalk video shown to us at school about how Starkbuck's business model is all about customer service. That's it. It's not about coffee, it's about the customer.

So imagine is that were also the case with this? Imagine that a revenue-sharing service were generous enough to think in terms of more for the people who do the work, like writers, instead of for their stock holders? There's nothing wrong with the little guy but suddenly, content isn't quality to those who make the rules and everyone has to play their game or suffer being left out. (Bubblews Invests In People, Facebook Invests In Algorithm)

But we all have these little digital social bubbles now, where we can start our own Facebook if we want to. It's something I've thought about more and more, because it's times like these I wish there was a better plan than to bend to the will of Facebook, like create my own Facebook. (I Would Create My Own 'Facebook' Site To Help, But I Can't)

If I were in Bubblews' shoes, I would feel like Saverin when Zuckerberg fucks him over in the end. That's pretty much what just happened here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment